Saturday, May 14, 2005

Dazed and Confused

Sorry for the lack of updates. I intended to post on Wednesday, as well as put up that story, but finals week just got in the way. Then laying around like a bum all of Friday got in the way. But now, the semester is over, it's summer, yay! I'm at work right now, and I'm excited because Adult Swim is, at this moment, showing Metropolis, which I've wanted to watch for some time now, and just haven't managed to make the time for it. They also, tonight, started airing Samurai Champloo. I watched the first dozen or so episodes subtitled when they were first being fansubbed during its Japanese TV run, and I'm anxious to see if the dub is any good. I know the show is good, I enjoyed it tremendously the first go-round, and even if I hadn't seen it, it's from Shinichiro Watanabe, the genius who gave us Cowboy Bebop. Unlike CB, which of course was a jazz-based futuristic bounty hunter show, SC is a hip-hop based feudal Japanese wandering samurai show. Okay, formulaic I admit. Not a traditional formula, but mot so far removed from the concept of his previous well-know anime. Regardless, if you like anime, and didn't hate Cowboy Bebop, (I know, it's crazy, but I've met a few who couldn't stand it,) you should give it a watch. It's not necessarily the most accessible series, (not as easy as, say, Lupin the 3rd, but certainly not as insider as, for instance, Keroro Gunsou. Compare its potential mainstream appeal to, maybe, Paranoia Agent or Chrono Crusade, or CB, of course) but anyone who digs animation, or action flicks, or hip-hop outside of the mold of JayZ/Ludacris/Snoop/insert-other-random-pop-rapper-here should be able to get into it pretty easily.

Meanwhile, in the real world, Lisbeth started her new job on Wednesday. She's been pretty exhausted since then, understandably: she has had an incredible amount of information to absorb in a very short time. She really likes it so far, though. It's strange having her gone all day, when we've been able to poke in on each other between classes and such, but we've been eating lunch together, which eases the transition, at least for me. She was so excited yesterday, they issued her a laptop. We stopped at my house to get Sandy on the way to a barbecue, and she was able to sit in the car and read blogs, because the computer they gave her has built-in wireless. Didn't work in the coffeeshop though.

Speaking of that coffeeshop, I'm never eating biscuits and gravy at the coffee shop across from campus again. They were raw. When I complained, they apologized, and explained that since they have no oven, they microwaved the canned biscuits. Lisbeth had a single order, I had a double, all were raw, and they tried to make up for it by offering us a donut. Oh, well. I wasn't very attached to that place anyway, since the coffee isn't that good, and some friends of mine own a coffee shop across town.

I've been very slowly writing this post over the past hour, and Metropolis is about half over now. I'm pretty impressed with it. I heartily (thus far) recommend it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home