Saturday, March 12, 2005

Hello, Old Friend

It's amazing how quickly I forget some things. Like that I set up a blog. One post, then over a week of nothing. Fairly eventful week, though.

George Atkinson, the inventor of movie rental passed away this week. I have to wonder if he had any idea at the time how revolutionary his business plan was. It wasn't even his primary business, he sold video franchises out of his office bathroom, according to the NPR story. (I think that's what it said, I'd double check for myself, but the stream won't open for me right now because I'm posting this from a dial-up account. A 28.8kbps dial-up account. I'm at work, where there is no internet, and no computer, so I'm using a Pentium 1 laptop on a free Juno number.) $50 membership plus $10 per movie per day seems high by today's standards, but people jumped on it, proving to the movie industry that the vcr was not, in fact, the Boston Strangler.

Sandy decided this week that despite several weeks of evidence to the contrary, she is not yet house trained. She decided this several times.

I finally started understanding better this week some of what we're doing in my grammar class. We had a test on Friday, and I think I finally did okay this time. I still don't enjoy diagramming sentences, but I do know what a noun subject complement is now.

On a sad note, I found out today that one of the residents at one of the group homes at which I work is not in good health at all. We found out several months ago that he had MS, and now his health is rapidly declining. If I am told correctly, he won't be with us much longer. He really is a great young man. He made quite a few of my evenings much easier just by his presence. His housemates all love him dearly, and other residents from other homes in our program are also very fond of him. Here's hoping we can, if nothing else, at least help prepare his friends well. I'm told he is aware of his situation and is accepting it and dealing fairly well with it. His housemates (and he, and we staff) just watched another housemate go through this not so long ago, and it is certainly not easy for anyone involved.

1 Comments:

Blogger seth said...

Update: I got the replay stream of the All Things Considered piece about George Atkinson to play--turns out he actually passed away last week, not this past week. Also that thing about him selling frachises from his bathroom is indeed true, I was starting to think I'd made that up.

10:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home