Friday, March 04, 2005

Near the Beginning

I created this account three days ago, and I'm just now posting because I was anxious about how to start. I didn't want to do the typical (I assume) "So, first post...where to start," etc., etc. It seemed just as wrong, though, to just dive in with no exposition at all, nothing saying who I am. Oh well. I'm Seth, but if you're here you probably know that, and none of this is necessary. I'm dating an incredible young woman, she's intelligent, well read, skilled in web design, and is that most elusive breed for which so many young men like myself search fruitlessly, a nerd-girl. Yeah, that's right. We actually decided to start dating when I was installing Linux for her, because she decided she was tired of malware, and therefore of Windows. She had even researched in advance which distro she wanted, though it refused to run on her machine, and we had to switch. Twice. In the end, Fedora core 3 did the trick, and has continued to do so thus far, with the exception of Java, which I cannot seem to make functional under FC3 with Firefox 1.0. I'm using JRE 1.4.2, as per Mozilla's instructions, but it just isn't happening. (And yes, I know to make the symbolic link, and I did do that, and Firefox just wouldn't recognize it. I also tried a couple of older JREs, but they actually crashed Firefox, something I'm typically accustomed to only on my XP box, where Firefox crashes constantly if there are any extensions installed.)

I also have a puppy, Sandy, who's about 5 1/2 months, and was just vaccinated and fixed yesterday. It was pretty traumatic for her at the time, but she seems to be over it already, as she has resumed her destruction of my house, and the spreading of my bathroom trash throughout. She also had her nails trimmed, because she likes to touch people's faces and in doing so, scratches pretty badly. The trimming seems not to have helped much, but it's great to have her home again. The vet had me leave her overnight, and it felt pretty strange not having her trying to eat my socks while I read the news and do homework.

Okay, enough exposition now. This is about distractions and stuff, right? I got the new Jack Johnson album on Tuesday. No big surprises there, great music, subtlely high energy, I'm really diggin' it. Also picked up the new Open Hand a week or two ago. It's still growing on me. I do like it a lot, but I'm still enjoying the previous release a tad more. None the less a very good album. On the subject of music, does anyone (without looking it up) know who recorded the album for which this post is named? I'll give you some hints, their name is an oxymoron, and the album was released by Atco Records (a division of Atlantic Recordings) in 1969. I have no idea if it's available on CD, I only have a worn out old vinyl record of it.

This post is a lot longer than I intended, so I think I'm going to call it quits for now. BBL

1 Comments:

Blogger seth said...

Okay, MAYBE not an oxymoron...they are sort of like opposites though, except not really. They're both sweet flavors, but one is light and the other is dark, and, um, I think I'm going to concede this point to you. :/

9:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home